Surely you have observed the great amount of yogurts that we find in the supermarket, with flavor and without them, with aggregates or alone, whole, skimmed and with or without additives to its composition. Well so that we know which one to choose in the middle of so much variety, today we leave some useful information and advice.
Nutritional information of different types of yogurts
Although in general the yogurts present nutrients similar, the proportion of them can vary considerably from one yogurt to another.
Therefore, here is a table with different types of yogurts and their nutrients main per 100 grams:
|Hydrates (g)||Proteins (g)||Fats (g)||Cholesterol (mg)||Calcium (mg)||Potassium (mg)|
|Natural whole yogurt||5.5||3.96||2.6||10.2||142||280|
|Natural Skimmed Yogurt||6.3||4.25||0.32||1||140||187|
|Sugary natural whole yogurt||13.7||3.5||1.9||4||131||157|
|Sweetened natural skimmed yogurt||13.8||4.5||0.3||1||149||191|
|Whole flavored yogurt||15.6||5.36||3.4||11||121||240|
|Skimmed yogurt flavors||16.73||3.8||0.9||4||150||190|
|Whole yogurt with fruits||14.3||3.83||2.3||10.7||109.1||210||Skimmed yogurt with fruits||13.1||3.83||0.2||0.3||112.13||210||Greek yogurt||5.39||6.4||10.2||11||150||150||Sweetened natural liquid yogurt||11.6||3||1.2||Traces||115||145||Flavored liquid yogurt||12.8||2.9||1.4||Traces||107||135|
Even so, these values can be modified according to aggregates or trademarks, but on average we can know which yogurt concentrates the most fat, or which is the one with the greatest amount of hydrates, which are mostly sugars, it has.
It is also essential to clarify that proteins are of equal quality in all types of yogurt, only their proportion varies, as do fats, which are mostly saturated.
If we look for a yogurt with probiotics or Without lactose, we should only look for these data in their labeling and nutritional information, since they vary from one version to another and may have a similar nutritional composition to those previously shown in the rest of the factors analyzed.
Which one do I choose in the middle of so much variety?
After seeing that there are basically more than 10 types of yogurts and that in addition, there are countless brands, colors, flavors and aggregates, how do I know which one to choose amidst such variety?
So you can choose the best alternative according to your needs, we leave the following tips:
- If you want to lose weight or do not want to add too many calories to the diet, the best option is natural skimmed yogurt, which is the version with less added sugar and less fat.
- To cook One of the best alternatives for its texture and great flavor is Greek yogurt, although of course, it has a higher proportion of fats than the rest of the options that we can find in the market.
- If you have diabetes or high triglycerides, the ideal is to go for natural yogurts, without added flavors or sugars, as they are the alternatives with less simple hydrates.
- If we want to consume less cholesterol, the most appropriate options are skimmed or liquid yogurts, since they are the ones with the lowest concentration of this lipid.
- If we want to add calcium and / or potassium to the diet, any alternative is valid, since the proportions do not vary considerably from one alternative to another, except in yogurts with fruits, where the level of potassium usually increases.
- To gain weight, one of the best alternatives is Greek yogurt, because it has more protein and a considerable caloric value without offering an extra sugar, and otherwise, yogurt with added cereals.
In general, to choose a yogurt appropriate to our characteristics is essential consider our objective or needs and of course, tastes, preferences and nutritional data of each yogurt.
It is key then, read the labeling of each yogurt and observe, beyond its expiration date, its nutrients and other components to choose the most appropriate alternative.
A simple fact: The less added, colors and flavors a yogurt has, the better it will be in nutritional terms.
And you, what yogurt do you choose?
Live to the Palate | Yogurt, a noble ingredient that can help us cook healthier
Image | iStock