I have always wondered what soups have that make them so desired. They are the best food to tone the body on cold days and the first one we think of when asked to think of a comforting bite. That is why, being as icy as it is, it has given me to seek Spanish soup recipes to fight the cold and gather them in this little compilation.Live to the Palate Nine spoon dishes that are prepared in 30 minutes (or less) and eaten all week
Although there are soups all over the world and, many of them, very good and tasty, I wanted to make homeland. Seven soups around Spain They are the protagonists of the moment. To these we can add many more, because our traditional regional cuisine is rich and varied. Surely you can contribute some right?
The seven best soups in Spain to fight the cold
With such a descriptive name it is not necessary to clarify the origin of this delicious spoon dish. Without a doubt, one of the star recipes of Galician regional cuisine. Simple to make and humble ingredients, the result of simmer Galician broth is tremendously surprising. If you have never eaten it, you are already taking it.
- Ingredients for four portions: 150 grams of small beans, 500 grams of potatoes, 1 bunch of turnip greens or 500 grams of vegetables, 1 large bone of pork spine, a piece of pork, 2 tender sausages, 50 grams of pork stub or bacon, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and half a teaspoon of sweet paprika.
- Elaboration: The night before, we soak the beans and also the lacon (if it is salty). In a large and taller than wide pot we pour two liters of water with a little salt and cook the beans with the meat for an hour and a half, or until we see them soft, but not undone. Peel the potatoes and chop them by clicking them, that is, breaking them with the help of the knife. We add them to the broth along with the sausages and keep cooking. Meanwhile, heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a pan and pour the whole. When it has melted and attached to the oil, remove the pan and add the paprika. Remove and add it to the pot with the broth. Wash the vegetable, chop it finely and add it to the pot. When cooked, rectify salt and let stand before serving.
Link | Galician broth recipe cooked over low heat
Madrid stew soup
We can not talk about Madrid soup cooked without explaining how the latter is made, without which the soup would not exist. The cooking of chickpeas, with vegetables, meats and bones give the broth a powerful and delicious taste. A cooked soup is a pestle of gods, a dish that every Madrid fan feels very proud of.
- ** Ingredients for six servings: 250 gr of chickpeas from Castilla, 500 gr of meat (black pudding), shell of chicken (or chicken), 2 chicken breasts (or chicken), 2 black pudding (at home they like less), 6 chorizos (which always like more), 1 piece of bacon (better bacon, less fat and more meat), 1 tip of ham (or a foot of salted pork), 1 cabbage, 1 onion, 3 carrots, 6 small potatoes, 1 tooth of garlic, pasta or rice for the soup (40 gr per person). Also for the table, extra virgin olive oil, sherry vinegar and a dry sherry wine.
- Elaboration: We soak some good Castilian chickpeas on the eve of the stew. We will start by cooking, starting with cold water, the meat, the tip of ham, the bacon, the chicken (shell and breasts). When the water starts to boil, add the chickpeas, previously drained and washed. When it starts to boil again, add onion and salt and let it cook for two to three hours. Thirty minutes before the end, we cook cabbage in a separate pot and, in the cooking pot, add the sausages, black pudding and carrots (peeled and broken into large pieces). When there are about 15 minutes add the potatoes to the cooked pot. At the end, strain the broth and make the soup boiling in the broth rice or noodles.
Link | Madrid stew recipe
This traditional recipe is one of the best known dishes of Mallorca's cuisine. The version that we present, with pork loin and mushrooms, is typical of slaughter meals. You can prepare the soups without these ingredients, they will be equally rich. For this recipe to come out perfect Soups or slices of bread are essential Dry cut very thin.
- Ingredients for four portions: 300 g of loin or small chopped pork tenderloin, 1/2 k of tender onion, 1 head of garlic, 1 bunch of parsley, 3 tomatoes, 1 potato cut as for tortilla, 1 cabbage, 1 small cauliflower, 1 green pepper, paprika, water, 250 grams of bread for Mallorcan soups (dried bread cut very thin) and 200 g of mushrooms.
- Elaboration: We start washing and cutting all the vegetables. In a casserole, better if it is made of mud, we turn the pork loin in olive oil. Next, add the sweet onion, the peeled and cut garlic, the green pepper, the tomato (often unpeeled and chopped), the mushrooms and we remove everything. Add the potato and parsley and then the cabbage cut into rather small strips. When the cabbage has lost water, we add a tablespoon full of paprika, salt and hot water (not too much, better to add for the vegetables are made). After a few minutes we add the small chopped cauliflower. When the vegetables are cooked, we move them towards the edges of the casserole and add the bread soups making sure they are in the bottom of the casserole. We put the vegetables on top, cover and let cook a few minutes. We serve very hot.
Link | Traditional Mallorcan Soup Recipe
Seafood soup is very typical of coastal regions, especially the Levante area. Each town or city has a different way of making it, so it is difficult to find two identical seafood soups. Our version of this tasty soup is perfect for celebrations and special occasions. It is entertaining, but very simple so be encouraged to try it.
- Ingredients for 10-12 portions: 1 hake, 1 kg. of clams (cooked and in their broth), 1 kg. of prawns, 1 kg. of mussels, monkfish tails, onion, garlic, white wine, paprika and chillies.
- Elaboration: Cook the hake and monkfish tails in a pot with plenty of water for a few minutes. Strain the broth, crumble the fish and reserve both. In the same broth, we cook the prawns. Once ready, we remove them and peel them, keeping our bodies, on the one hand, heads and tails, on the other. Open the steamed mussels, remove the husks and reserve them. We pour the broth of cooking the fish in a large casserole and add the hake and monkfish. Let it cook over very low heat, while adding the clams in its broth. Meanwhile, we crush the heads and skin of the prawns with the blender, adding a little water, strain and add to the casserole to give it color and flavor. This process should be repeated several times, also adding monkfish tails. Let the broth cook over very low heat. In a pan with oil, we pound several onions and garlic cloves finely chopped. We add a stream of white wine, some water and paprika, let it reduce a little before adding mussels and prawns to the casserole. We adjust the salt point and, if we like spicy, add chilli to taste. Let stand before serving.
Link | Seafood soup. My grandmother's Christmas recipe
Pot of San Antonio or San Antón
San Antonio or San Antón Abad, protector of animals, is a very celebrated holiday in Murcia. In the neighborhoods and towns where this saint has special relevance, prepare all kinds of manajares among which is the pot of San Antonio. There are many versions of this popular stew, all equally delicious and comforting How is it going.
- Ingredients for four portions: 150 g of whole wheat, 200 g of dried chickpeas or 400 g of canned chickpeas, 175 g of pumpkin, 1 large potato, 2 turnips, 1 onion, 2 bay leaves, 1 lady, 1 clove of garlic, black pepper , salt and extra virgin olive oil.
- Elaboration: Wash the wheat and soak it in clean water the night before. We also put the chickpeas to hydrate, in case of using the dried legume. The next day, we rinse and drain well. We put a large pot with boiling water and cook the wheat until it is tender, about 1 hour or 1 hour and a half. We also cook the chickpeas, if used dry. Chop the lady, removing the peduncle and the seeds, and put it to hydrate. Chop the onion and poach it in a pot with olive oil. Add the wheat, chickpeas and chopped potatoes. Cover with water and cook 10 minutes. Add the pumpkin and turnip chopped with the bay leaf, lightly salt and cook 15 more minutes. Chop the reserved lady with a little salt, 1 clove of garlic and pepper to taste in a mortar or food processor. We can also fry the lady apart first. We add to the casserole and check the liquid level. Let cook about 15 minutes more and correct salt. Let stand a little before serving.
Link | Pot of San Antonio or San Antón. Traditional recipe
Purrusalda or porru-salda soup
A great classic of Basque cuisine is the purrusalda or porru-salda (original name). Comforting and satiating, this soup is made with salted cod, potato and leek. To enjoy it to the fullest, it must be served very hot and, if you feel like it, accompany it with some croutons or croutons inside the broth. A delight
- Ingredients for four portions: 250 gr of cod, 6 leeks, 3 or 4 potatoes, 2 cloves of garlic, 3/4 liter of fumet (fish stock) or water, pepper, bay leaf, olive oil and salt.
- Elaboration: In half a liter of broth we cook the cod, previously desalted, for a few minutes. We remove it and let it cool before crumbling it and remove any spines it contains. In a casserole with olive oil we fry the garlic, crushing them in the mortar once golden brown. In the same oil, sauté the leeks cut into pieces and then the potatoes also in pieces. Sauté and add the cod, stir a couple of minutes before adding the fumet in which we have cooked the cod. Finally, add the crushed garlic with a little paprika and a little broth, the bay leaf and add salt and pepper. Let simmer for 30 minutes over low heat and serve. If necessary we add a little more broth at the end of cooking.
Link | Purrusalda or porru-salda recipe
Hard bread, broth, eggs and garlic is all we need to put our guests before a magnificent Castilian soup that will leave you speechless and wanting more. This is its humblest version, but there are other more sophisticated ones to which ham, sausage, etc. tacos are added. It is very versatile and can be adapted to everyone's taste.
- Ingredients for four portions: 4 garlic, 300 g of hard bread, 3 eggs, 1 liter of broth, 1 tablespoon of paprika, olive oil and salt.
- Elaboration: In a casserole with a little oil, brown the whole garlic. Add the bread, chopped. Remove, add the paprika and then the broth. Let cook about 2 minutes and, out of the heat, add the beaten eggs and stir so that threads form. We serve in clay pots and hot.
Link | Castilian soup. Recipe
Images | Javier Lastras on Flickr
Live on the palate | Nine seasonal soups to boost your energies
Live on the palate | How to make a traditional onion soup